Re: [Phys-L] inertia and the tablecloth demo

On 08/18/2016 04:58 PM, Derek McKenzie wrote:

The pedagogical issue with this, however, is that whereas everybody
knows what you mean by "push/pull", almost no student will know what
you mean by "inertia". This places you in the somewhat ridiculous
position of having to explain what the synonym of a thing means when
you could just as easily explain the thing itself!

Yes, that sums up my opinion on the matter. I see no need to mention
"inertia" at all, let alone define it or explain it.

By the same token, I see no need to mention "equal and opposite
reaction" or electrical "condensers". In the very unlikely event
that some student asks about such a thing, I say don't worry about
it. It's just an archaic way of talking about the third law, or
about capacitors.

The foregoing are rather unusual easy cases, insofar as we have
two names for the same concept.

In contrast: More commonly we have nastier situations where
there are multiple concepts masquerading behind a single name.
"Heat" is an infamous example. There are several different
things it could mean, each of which would make sense on its
own, but lumping them all together results in chaos.
https://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo/heat.html

We could do things in the other order, i.e. define mass as we
do now, and then by the way define inertia as equal to mass.
That strikes me as an unnecessary step in the wrong direction,
because not everybody agrees that that's the right definition,
as Rick Tarara and others have pointed out.