Re: [Phys-L] irreversible quasistatic

On 07/29/2016 10:01 AM, Carl Mungan wrote:
I assume if there is one such example, there are others.

Sure.

For example, although I cannot immediately think of a good example
of how to realize an IQHTP for an isothermal expansion of an ideal
gas,

Expansion through a Joule-Thompson plug.

Isolated system. Constant total energy, therefore constant temperature.

This is a classic example. It has been analyzed in lurid detail, because
JT expansion has important applications in the case of a non-ideal gas.
Apply the same analysis to the (less useful) special case of an ideal gas.

I will draw two identical cycles (in the sense of having the same
vertices and connecting curves). Cycle A will consist purely of
reversible processes. Cycle B will consist of at least one
irreversible quasistatic process;

Those three sentences are incompatible. Pick any two.

That is to say, cycle A and cycle B should look different on any
reasonable "indicator diagram". If not, some key variable is being
left out, and the diagram is not a meaningful representation of the
system.