Re: [Phys-L] cataract lens replacement

Kyle,
- William F. Bates (1860-1931) discovered, I guess in the 1920's or 1930's,
that some of our focusing comes from elongation and anti-elongation of the
eyeball.
- He was an eye surgeon.
- He was dismissed as a quack back then because he was teaching that
exercising the eyes could either rid one of the need for glasses, or arrest
the typical escalating of lens prescription as the decades roll by. Bad for
business.
- A Bates history, http://www.visionsofjoy.org/AboutBates.htm
- Right now I am reading "How the Brain Heals Itself," and in that new book
Norman Doidge, MD tells of an intriguing professionalism on the part of
Bates. I was so surprised to find that information, since the ONLY info I
had seen on Bates had been from when I read his book, Better Eyesight
Without Glasses, several decades ago.
- It would be a revelation for me indeed if Bates' discovery could explain
modern day contact lens focusing.
Bill Norwood, Physics Dept, U of MD at College Park

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 12:20 PM, Forinash III, Kyle <kforinas@ius.edu>