Re: [Phys-L] cataract lens replacement

On 2016/Dec/01, at 09:49, Bill Norwood via Phys-l <phys-l@mail.phys-l.org> wrote:

- It would be a revelation for me indeed if Bates' discovery could explain
modern day contact lens focusing.
Bill Norwood, Physics Dept, U of MD at College Park

One only need look at the musculature of the orbit to suggest possible truth. Surely Bates took this in account, which suggests he’s possibly correct.

I remember the daughter of a psychiatrist doing Bates exercises. The father was a no-nonsense science person [1], so I assume he thought the exercises might work.

This is intuitively obvious:

2. Why would an insertion at a slight angle work to resolve astigmatism? I
would have thought the lens would be circularly symmetric so the angle at
which it was inserted should not matter but they tell me they were able to
correct about half my mild astigmatism by inserting at 60 degrees (about 2
o’clock when looking from the front). There are asthmatic lens replacements
but I did not get that kind of lens.

But I’d be convinced by simple raytracing.

[1] summa cum laude UCB physics, before med. and psychiatry schools.

bc, was the nanny, and has forgotten much since being a former IOL manufacturer's consultant.

The IOL industry has, evidently, changed much since 1982.