Re: [Phys-L] Reading Logs -- and Textbook Comprehension

On 2015, Sep 25, , at 15:02, Marty Weiss <martweiss@comcast.net> wrote:

In the chemistry description the questions are straightforward. This doesn't require reading comprehension at all, simply a knowledge of the chemical involved. If you don't know the information you cannot answer any of the questions.

Right, suffering from incipient Alzheimer’s, I had to “look up” C-tetrachloride, to ensure it wasn’t, say tetrachloro ethane or even tetra — ethylene. If they'd used the better IUPAC tetrachloromethane .... Once I got that, it’s easy, and any intro-physics student should be able to answer the questions because of the obvious symmetry.

bc suffers, and prays he’s not off the deep end.

p.s. If it were other than zero — it’d require some memory of bond lengths and effective charges, etc. so one may "psych the question".