Re: [Phys-L] circuit analysis : a simpler approach?

On 09/01/2015 06:48 PM, Lulai, Paul wrote:

Wouldnt we get the same result for most dc circuits with resistors and
capacitors in steady state if we worked things by:
A) determining equivalent resistances or capacitances
B) using kirchoffs laws

Here's how I see it:

a) The method of series/parallel reduction is a subset of
Kirchhoff's «laws». In any case where series/parallel
reduction works, direct application of Kirchhoff's «laws»
would have worked also.

b) The converse does not necessarily hold. You can "usually"
do fine with series/parallel reduction, but not always.
Notable exceptions include certain 2D and 3D mesh structures.

c) A mesh of /linear/ elements can be solved fairly
easily, but a mesh with diodes here and there is a mess.

d) There are situations where neither series/parallel
reduction nor Kirchhoff's «laws» make sense. An obvious
example is a big chunk of metal with a current source
at one point and a current sink at another. I suppose
you could model it approximately using Kirchhoff's «laws»
applied to a fine mesh, but I wouldn't recommend it.

e) In cases where series/parallel reduction is a viable
option, I recommend it over other methods. It's quick,
easy, intuitive, and easy to visualize.

Most simple circuits you are likely to encounter fit
into this category, if only because designers don't
like to design stuff that can't be analyzed this way.

As Diego Saravia pointed out, if a solution has been
found by whatever method, you can use Kirchhoff's
«laws» to check it. Verifying a solution is usually
very much easier than deriving it from scratch.

f) What you really need to watch out for are situations
where Kirchhoff's «laws» get the wrong answer (and
series/parallel reduction gets the same wrong answer
for the same reasons). That's because Kirchhoff's «laws»
are predicated on a whole bunch of assumptions that are
not always true in real life. Ground loops are the
canonical example of this.

https://www.av8n.com/physics/kirchhoff-circuit-laws.htm