Re: [Phys-L] field of an ellipsoidal distribution

Chuck Britton wrote

If your table were floating on the surface of a (quiet) lake, the water would not feel a (net) force toward the equator, nor would your air puck.

Right?

In the rest frame of the lake surface, the water would feel no net force, period, by simple application of NII.

(Of course, in the non-rotating rest frame of the center of the Earth, that same water would experience a net force toward the Earth's axis of rotation, again by NII. I suspect, however, that you are thinking about the rest frame of the lake and the rest of my comments are predicated on that assumpton.)

A puck sliding freely and frictionlessly on the table top will experience no net force ONLY if the table top is parallel to the lake surface, which I suspect you are assuming. It's worth noting, though, that most tables don't float that way!

John Mallinckrodt