Re: [Phys-L] Carnot (?) efficiency of non-Carnot cycles

On Mar 4, 2015, at 11:58 AM, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

On 03/04/2015 10:15 AM, Carl Mungan wrote:
Please explain in detail how you will accomplish a reversible
isochoric process ...

OK, now we understand what the real question is. It's a
big-league question. This is what makes Stirling engines
infamously hard to analyze.

Executive summary:
1) There has to be a regenerator.
2) If the regenerator is done right, it has no effect
on the overall efficiency, because it doesn't transfer
any energy or entropy to/from the Th or Tc reservoirs.

Please explain in detail how you will accomplish a reversible
isochoric process without a sequence of infinitesimally different
temperature reservoirs.

Let's be careful with what we mean by terms like "bath",
"reservoir", "source", and "sink". Note the contrast:

*) We speak of the Tc heat-bath and the Th heat-bath.
Th is a source for energy and entropy.
Tc is a sink for energy and entropy.
Th and Tc could be called reservoirs. They are
assumed to be infinite reservoirs, so that we
can run the engine for a long time without
depleting them.

*) In contrast: The regenerator needs to have some
/finite/ heat capacity. However, it is not a source
or a sink. Whatever energy and entropy are removed
from it on one leg of the cycle are restored to it
half a cycle later. I do not think of it as a
heat "bath", certainly not an infinite one. You
can call it a "reservoir" if you want, but this
may be misleading, because it is not the same
category as the Th and Tc reservoirs.

Let's be clear: For an ideal regenerator, it contributes
nothing to the energy budget and entropy budget when summed
over a cycle. Whatever it takes it gives back over the
course of a cycle.

If there are nonidealities, at some point we must
take those into account, but that wasn't the question
that was asked.

As a separate matter, you don't necessarily need an infinite
sequence of regenerators; one will do, if you're clever
about it. The regenerator gradually heats itself up in the
process of being used (on one leg) and gradually cools down
(on the opposite leg), so it's always at about the right
temperature. Designing such a thing will make you tear
your hair out, but it's possible in principle.

Howdy,

And I always thought a Stirling Engine was one that ran using the Stirling Cycle. Now you're including a device (how do you design such a thing? isn't it yet another Heat Engine? if it can't be drawn as a cycle of some sort isn't it irreversible and therefore the efficiency still must be lower than a Carnot Engine anyway?) as part of the Stirling Engine.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)