Re: [Phys-L] mechanical simulation error (dice vs. nuclear decay)

On 11/18/2015 03:00 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

The 'radioactive dice' experiment: why is the 'half-life' slightly wrong? - IOPscience

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0031-9120/47/2/197/meta

That's the most repulsive thing I've seen all day, and it's
been a really bad day.

The article is 2500 words long, and fails to obtain the right
answer. Let's see if I can do better.

==============================
Let λ be the fraction removed in unit time. So by definition:

1/2^(1/τ) = (1 - λ) [0]

where τ is the half-life. Hence

log(1/2)
τ = ----------- [1]
log(1 - λ)

as you can easily rederive and/or easily verify. Hint: try λ = 3/4.
Remark: In the limit of very small λ, this reduces to:

ln(2)

as you can verify by expanding [1] to first order. Murray and Hart
were mystified when they used [2] with a not-sufficiently-small λ.

Conclusion: When in doubt, use [1] not [2].

I think my version is shorter, more correct, and more useful.

Tangential remark: Note that in equation [1] I left the
base of the logarithm unspecified. You can use log2, ln,
log10, or whatever you like.