[Phys-L] GR and Gravitons

I have a question about general relativity and the hypothetical graviton. It is my understanding that the presence of a massive object alters the geometry of spacetime thus causing the observed motion of free particles in the vicinity of the massive object. The particles aren’t experiencing a force but simply following the contours of spacetime. The question is, why would anyone think that there would be an exchange particle governing the (non-existent) interaction between the massive object and any one of the particles. The answer I have come across is that general relativity is a field theory and fields can be quantized—the graviton is the quantum of the field. Then the question becomes, what is the field? Is it spacetime itself? This page
http://www.quantum-field-theory.net/einstein-didnt-say/
has another suggestion. Is that page a bunch of nonsense?