Re: [Phys-L] "Climate science is not settled"

Exactly.  There is no problem with the rest of the comments, but it would
seem that the headline is designed to say that it is completely not settled.
The problem that I see is that his comments will be taken out of context and
used against climate science.  There certainly are always things you don't
know about all models in science.  He points to the recent decade of more
stability in surface temperatures, but that may be coming to an end.  He
also does not mention the recent evidence that the oceans are warming and
becoming more acidified. He does say that human induced climate change is
happening, but as I pointed out people only percieve the things that they
want to see.  My preference for wording would have been stronger on the fact
that human induced change is happening, with a caveat that we do not have a
firm pediction of what will happen, just a range of what might happen.  It
is like forecasting a hurricane disaster, people always wait, often until
there is not time to escape.  The same thing happens with planning buildings
for earth quakes.  After a big one there is lots of activity, but in a
fairly short time people forget and the planning comes to naught.

I remember one astronomer pooh-poohing global warming and predicting that it
was just cyclical and would go away.  He may have been right in that it may
be currently moderating, but has not reduced.  Actually if China does reduce
their deadly pollution, we may see a big uptick in global temperatures.
Installing more reknewable energy sources may in the short run increase the
warming because the pollution reflects the thermal energy, just as volcanos
can produce short term cooling until the particles have preciptated.

I had not read the complete article before my initial comments, and his
concerns are certainly reasonable.  I would still say we should plan for the
worst case scenarios and be happy if they don't come to pass.  We are in the
position that we can influence the global climate.  We are experimenting
with the whole Earth.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX