Re: [Phys-L] Help w/ Euler Cromer algo.

On 2014, Sep 20, , at 23:47, fletcher@physics.usyd.edu.au wrote:

> Hi Bernard
>
> This might help.
>
> https://www.siue.edu/~mnorton/mat-340.pdf
>
> Cheers
>
> Fletch

Thanks, but …  curiously Cromer claims, additionally,*** that the half step is
not as good as the Last Point Approx., while the Garvin/Norton example is
rather convincing otherwise!
[maybe their criteria differ — reveals a lack of careful reading.]

What JD wrote is the "heart”.

On 2014, Sep 20, , at 22:18, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

> What is not claimed, and what is not generally true, is that
> the length of the simulated period will match the true period.
>
>> fitting the result to a cos
>
> That's asking too much.  The simulated period will be off
> by a little bit, so the result will deviate from the exact
> cosine by an amount that grows over time.
>
> You could fudge the frequency of the cosine to alleviate
> this problem.

i.e. fit to the cos W/ a functional parameter to the frequency?

> Depending on the reason for doing the
> simulation, you might or might not care about the frequency
> discrepancy.

Great!

As usual, by being a telegrapher I failed to obtain a complete answer.

The “motivation” was to determine if a typical clock’s pendulum exhibited SHM.
[Of course it doesn’t, but to what degree? —]
IIUC, many horologists think it doesn’t  (significantly — whatever that means)
One, using a Renishaw found it is SHM some time ago, but didn’t write it up, so
we don’t know w/ in what accuracy.

Hence the cos fit.

All this may be “moot”, as the deviation from “harmonicity” as measured by the
fit using the non-lin. diff. eq. [done after my post] “swamps”  the inaccuracy
of the LPA by at least two orders!
I expect the fit of the diff. eq. including a drive numerically modeled will
result in further deviation.

One poss. prob.   A not very gud mantel clock’s p.’s period on average over a
week deviates only ~ one PPM.   This means that the horological definition of
harmonicity is in position only, not period.  So “my” fit comparison must not
include variation of period.

***On 2014, Sep 20, , at 21:47, Bernard Cleyet <bernard@cleyet.org> wrote:

> Cromer claim(s) the Last Point approximation is stable.  So I must not be
> writing it.

bc ’s next project:  develop a sinusoidal fit w/ variable period.  Yes?