Re: [Phys-L] Power Point's Huge Waste of Paper

What is the purpose of having the power point presentation if the presenter
copies every page, even the pages with one or two salient points.  They could
just as well give out the pages or skip printing the pages with the single
phrase or word.  Why do presenters think they have to put every bullet point on
a separate page with cutesy cartoons to illustrate them.  Power Point has
become a lazy way to give a presentation.  It has become a crutch for a
"teacher" who is a poor speaker.

Give me the days when you could use the overhead projector and put a piece of
paper on top of the points you wanted to present so you could expose them one
at a time.  Students would have to  (heaven forbid!) TAKE NOTES!  When I taught
in the high school we had an overhead with a scrolling roll of acetate so I
could write the notes and illustrations as the lesson progressed, then scroll
the roll across to a blank section to continue.  That way if students missed
something and asked for the notes they missed I could simply scroll back to the
pertinent section. The roll was long enough so the notes and drawings remained
on the roll for a week or more.  If someone was absent they could ask me to
roll it back to the day's notes they missed.