Re: [Phys-L] book versus video versus lecture

There is some research which may or may not bear on this issue. I recently
came across some research which showed that taking lots of pictures may not
be productive as a memory device. People who do not take lots of pictures
tend to remember the event better. But if a person takes lots of pictures
and then reviews them, the memory is also reinforced.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

While I have always believed that taking notes helps memory,
that is really just an opinion. Even when I provide detailed
handouts, I still like to leave space for students to write
in the steps of key arguments as we develop them together.
But there is something else that complicates the issue: yes,
I say that note-taking is important, but it really matters
who is taking the notes.

Some students have the ability to understand, organize and
record what has happened in class with an ability that to me
seems like alchemy. In fact, my current "official archive"
notes are a collection given to me by one of those students.
Also, these students have an amazing ability to write in
clear, better-than-legible handwriting at high speed. Not
everyone can do that.