Re: [Phys-L] carbon wars

On 10/06/2014 11:55 AM, Dr. Holly Priestley wrote:
Maybe this is a really stupid question -- but in this discussion, what about
the myriad of carbon sinks removing carbon from the atmosphere? We just
aren't dumping C into the environment without anything working to remove it
.... or did I miss that in the discussion?

Well, that's absolutely central to any intelligent discussion.

There are not a "myriad" of effective sinks. There are a lot
of short-term reservoirs such as plants that take up carbon
when they grow and give it up when the rot. A reservoir is
not a sink. The plant reservoir is a net loser at present,
because people are killing plants and exposing fossil plants
faster than they are growing plants.

Also CO2 dissolved in the oceans is a reservoir, not
a sink. And it's not good for the oceans.

Conceivably you could grow a bunch of plants and then
protect the product from rot, forever ... but nobody is
doing this. The cost of doing so -- if added to the cost
of fossil fuels -- would be prohibitive. It would be more
economical to leave the fossil fuel in the ground and just
grow biofuels.

The only process I know of for effective long-term carbon
sequestration is the weathering of silicate rocks. This
was mentioned a couple of days ago under the heading of
"carbon sequestration, or not".