From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@www.phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Jim Diamond
Sent: Monday, October 6, 2014 9:36 AM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] carbon wars

- *From*: "Folkerts, Timothy J" <FolkertsT@bartonccc.edu>
- *Date*: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 20:27:25 +0000

------------------------------

"Folkerts, Timothy J" wrote:

John D says
"You can calculate the amount of carbon that can be dumped into the
environment before it leads to utter catastrophe, such as the end of
civilization as we know it, or possibly extinction of the human
species. This is a finite number, on the order of 500 gigatons."
The remainder your post is a very interesting discussion of how to
deal with this starting assumption. I wonder if you could expand on
how you come to this initial point.
* What specific "utter catastrophe" do you foresee happening after the
next 500 GT of carbon is burned (on the order of 50 years at current
rates) that could kill the human race?

For a look at consequences, please take a look at *Theme Issue 'Four degrees
and beyond: the potential for a global temperature increase of four degrees
and its implications*' compiled and edited by Mark G. New, Diana M.
Liverman, Richard A. Betts, Kevin L. Anderson and Chris C. West.
http://rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/369/1934.toc

Best wishes,
Jim
--