Re: [Phys-L] producing a good physics course ... was: The Make-Believe World of Real-World Physics

I don't claim to have all the answers, but here's something to consider:
Rather than starting with a simple book and adding complexity, start
by thinking in terms of a MOOC. That's a really complicated thing.
IMHO it is better to plan for complexity and cut corners when necessary,
rather than thinking small and then constantly getting blindsided by
the un-planned-for complexities.

A MOOC? Maybe, but a well-maintained website might also work...

This Spring Chris Impey did a MOOC on Astronomy. The platform, UDEMY, was restrictive and so it was good but not great. I think it is still "up" and accepting enrollment if anyone would like to try it. In addition, Impey has a website http://www.teachastronomy.com that is very good and could be used as a stand-alone replacement for an introductory astronomy course (one or two semesters). The content is rich, with many supporting materials to engage anyone for hours, and you'd actually learn something in the process.

Unfortunately, an all online option is not feasible for everyone (instructors or students). However, couple something like this website with a "traditional" text that was compiled from many subject experts and you have the basis for a plan.

IMHO, what we have in PER is "patches". What we really need is a re-invention that thinks outside the box and makes use of everything available to give as many pathways to an endpoint as possible.

Peter Schoch