your will. Or drop me off this one. Focus people!

John Caranci
OISE Physics Teaching Instructor

On 2013-07-11, at 8:09 PM, "LaMontagne, Bob" <RLAMONT@providence.edu>
wrote:

Marty,

I didn't use the word "interference" - although I might when it
involves purely social issues.

Food and safety issues can be handled through lawsuits.

Likewise for child labor and low wages, etc. The laws were basically
unnecessary because society had decided to change - the laws just
followed them. My father was beaten up by State Police during an attempt
to unionize a plant. Instead of helping, the government actually got in
the way and sided with the company. When people are fed up with something
and take mass action - things change - at that point lawsuits can do just
as much as legislation - with the added benefit of the victims getting
compensation.

People got aid before all the safety nets. Extended families stayed
intact because people had to help each other out. The huge government
"safety nets" made the extended family irrelevant. I agree it would be
difficult to turn things around in a short time, but society would easily
adapt in a generation.

Fairness is guaranteed by the Constitution. But that fairness is only
enacted if society sees a need for it. Insurance is the responsibility
of the individual. Again, people used to save and bail each other out
before disability insurance - and there were all kinds of private
charities that took up the slack. People had it hard because the
government in the past sided with the large companies - that's where the
payoffs came from. But much of that changed because of public outrage -
the legislation followed the outrage - never preceded it - but by that
time the problem was on the way taking care of itself.

Fairness does not mean every man for himself. Quite the contrary, it
requires compassion and cooperation between people. No responsible
Libertarian would advocate pulling the plug on all the government
programs with nothing to take their place. To remove the heavy had of
government from our lives requires an alternate structure to be built in
its place - please don't confuse Libertarian philosophy with Anarchy. We
would look to the judicial branch of government to provide the foundation
for the alternate structure - and have far less reliance on the
legislative branch. Legislatures are the epitome of unfairness - laws are
structured to cater to special interests. The courts are not perfect, but
they have a better track record of fairness in their rulings.

Finally, look what government "safety nets" have done to the black
race. Despite the abolishing of slavery and the way society was turned
inside out during the civil rights movement - government programs have
essentially crippled black society to the point it is not functional.
Where is the fairness in that?

By the way, your friend sounds more like a right wing survivalist than
a Libertarian. Libertarians would definitely have police forces, fire
departments, etc., but they would be private - not government run. And
yes - they would be paid for by taxation - but they would be more
accountable to the town councils that hired them because they could be
replaced. As a New England native, I am used to volunteer fire
departments and neighborhood watches - they do work - because they are
neighbor helping neighbor.

Libertarians basically want the same kind of world as you - we just
believe that people are capable of providing that world better than large
government can - and are capable of not being exploited by narrow
interests (unless those interests have government protection).

Regards -

Bob