Re: [Phys-L] Economist Hirschman's Argument Against Private Schools and Vouchers

On 2013, Jun 30, , at 10:52, marx@phy.ilstu.edu wrote:

Milton Friedman was correct. Richard, you apparently haven't dealt with any school
district lately. They do not listen to any comments, concerns, complaints, requests
of parents.

That's the point. The parents who would make a diff. "walk" i.e. instead of recalling recalcitrant trustees, inter alia, send their kids privately or home school.

There are currently two recall petitions in Salinas. One by supporters of a trustee and city councilor to remove the mayor who refuses to give him committee assignments, because, he claims, the trustee is also a city councilor. The other by, I assume mayoral supporters, to recall that school trustee and city councilor from his school district trusteeship.

They are totally controlled by the federal government now. It has
completely removed any ability of local voices to be heard on any issue.

That's absurd.

There is no single issue that can be addressed to improve schools. There is a wide
array of issues, but the driving force to correct them will not come from on high.

Since, I thought, there is general agreement the most important driving force for school failure is poverty, then, perforce, only the federal and state governments can effect a "cure". that, of course, will never happen under "run away" capitalism. That's the single issue that drives all the others.

I[t] must come from the stakeholders - parents that care enough about their children's
education to make sure they get a good one.
Parents that do care would be able to
take their children and put them into a private school without having to pay twice
for that education - in taxes and tuition.

Right, many don't even have the money for adequate nutrition.

bc thinks the class struggle continues on phys-l.