Re: [Phys-L] Would a Carbon Tax Save Life on Planet Earth?

I'll try to keep this brief as many of these discussions end up in my energy class.

1) These topics--including things like carbon taxes--is regular fare on the Physics and Society list.

2) It seems to me somewhat unfair to now concentrate now the negatives (externalities) of fossil fuel use without acknowledging the positives. Our entire scientific, technological, industrial world of the 19th and 20th centuries was built on fossil fuel use, and today the world still gets 85% of its energy from the fossil fuels. [and no, I'm not denying the need to now move away from them.] I dare say that the scientific and technological advances of those last two centuries have prevented the 'premature' deaths of maybe a third of the people on this list (me included). Our ability to communicate in this fashion also rests on the shoulder of energy mostly from fossil fuels. So, if you want to price out the negatives, also price out the trillions in positives, and be careful with any fossil reduction plans that you don't 'throw out the baby with the bathwater'.

3) It's fine to listen to the climate scientists about the causes of climate change, but also listen to the engineers and industrialists who detail how difficult it will be to replace our current fossil energy sources with alternatives. In this, don't confuse TOTAL energy supplies with electrical energy supplies as often the media does. Replacing coal-powered electrical plants is only one step towards eliminating oil and natural gas usage. It ultimately boils down to MONEY and LAND--without clear solutions in many parts of the world.

4) For the 'social justice' some espouse, we need to expand energy use and energy supplies. The developed countries can't cut back nearly enough to accommodate the growth in usage by the likes of China and India. The future of climate change is really in the hands of those two nations. We can lead by example, but without real action in those regions, greenhouse gasses will continue to climb.

[I, for one, wouldn't count sea-walls around NY (or Florida) until they are at least scheduled to be built! ;-) ]

rwt (who thinks the topic title is a bit overstated--I would change 'Life' to 'lives'}

--
Richard Tarara
Professor of Physics

free Physics educational software