Re: [Phys-L] Car repair

You said it yourself... You're not the average guy. Sure, if you can lift up a car you can still do the muffler and exhaust system (mostly) or the brakes. But I am talking about exactly the things you are trained in... the electrical system and all the things that are "stuffed into cars" which is "way more" (your words) than we had thirty or forty years ago. Oh, yeah... they last longer than the old days when I had to redo the rusted out fenders on my dad's 57 Plymouth and get under the hood to adjust the carb of my old Rambler or add refrigerant to the ac of my 84 Datsun 200SX by going to PepBoys and buying a few cans of the stuff and then doing it myself before it got too hot to do without the ac.

How many of you who claim it's easy to fix your car ever experienced the days of going to the junk yard (acres and acres of old cars piled ten feet high and arranged in row after row by make and model) and rummaging through a hundred Chevys for a gear shift assembly, stripping it off with your tool kit, back to the shop office to pay for it, and home to assemble it onto your car ??... those days are long gone.

I am not backing down from what I said earlier... you younger guys have lost the thrill of tearing a motor down and reassembling it in your own garage, or doing a transmission yourself (with help from your friends)... days long gone never to return. The smell of grease and the nights when your wives or moms wouldn't let you in the house because your jeans were dirty and your nails were black from the grease and dirt. Yes, those were the days of drag racing your car on the quarter mile and running down the highway like a Springsteen song. We did that even into our twenties. Then after your race you went home and adjusted the things that hindered your racing ability.

A neat story here: in college we had an education methods class. The assignment was to do some sort of project for science suitable to show a middle or high school freshman physical science class and demonstrate it for our own class. We all did molecules or double helices... some did more elaborate things for physics or chemistry. Well, one of our mates forgot the assignment. He showed up and was shocked to see he had forgotten to do anything. So, a half hour before class he went to the parking lot and took the alternator off his Ford. He wrapped it in a towel, quickly wrote up an explanation of how it worked, ran that off on the xerox machine, came into class and proceeded to explain the technicalities of a alternator. When class was over he put the thing right back on his car and drove home. THAT'S what I mean by doing work on your car that you can't do now.

Something the average guy or kid can't or won't do nowadays.