Re: [Phys-L] Suggestions for audio speakers

Of course the very low bass is severly limited with an open back, and the
small speakers have a fairly high resonance frequency. This would need
severe equalization for good very low bass. It is actually similar in some
ways to a commercial design, the Bose 901 (as I recall) which used 9 small
speakers, but then had an equalization box. Unfortunately none of these are
considered portable, unless you use the army definition of portable has a
handle attached. I think that most would consider portable to be something
that fits into a suitcase or duffel bag. There is one portable monitor that
used to be made by Cambridge Sound Works. It used a woofer in a closed
suitcase combined with two tweeters for stereo. Unfortunately this does
not work for demonstrating how low frequency sounds can cancel when out of
phase, so it may not fill the bill for classroom demos. Rensselaer used to
have students measure double slit interference using microwaves, light, and
sound in one lab. They had 2 large loudspeakers separated about a meter or
so for the demo. Waves should include all examples rather than separating
them by type of wave.

The problem with cone speakers is that the dispersion pattern changes with
frequency. But wave guide speakers can achieve cylindrical waves, with some
variation in vertical dispersion. Another Bose speaker which preceeded the
901 was designed to only sit in a corner of the room where 2 walls and
ceiling meet. It was designed to simulate a pulsating sphere. But I think
it never achieved much popularity because of the placement limitations.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

On 2013, Mar 15, , at 13:40, "John Clement"