Re: [Phys-L] Suggestions for audio speakers

On 2013, Mar 15, , at 13:40, "John Clement" <clement@hal-pc.org> wrote:

Nobody seems to have addressed what you are asking for, so here is an
attempt to do this.
1. It is impossible to have speakers that have flat response down to 20Hz
that are also portable. Basically you need large woofers to reproduce low
frequency sounds. Below the resonance frequency of the cabinet/woofer
system the sound cuts off sharply. Ported speakers extend the low
frequency, but then the cut off is even sharper.

The engineer I previously mentioned designed semi-portable systems w/ great value for the money. A typical one consisted of six oval (5 X 7") speakers (wired series parallel) mounted on a baffle board and sides v. ~ a foot (open back). One placed it for "optimum sound". A novel innovation was to short the "nodes", so that one speaker's resonance would be damped by its "brother". If expensive speakers were used, this wouldn't work! He would demo A-B with much more expensive ones -- Many would conclude not worth the extra money.

Two advantages: Good bass response from the large area, and good mid range from the low mass --

Another innovation was to rigidize the cone w/ a low density building material whose composition a secret I never learned. It looked like the white spray on sound absorber. This, I suppose, improved the higher frequency response. He also experimented lowering woofer speaker resonance by using glued on wire solder. He also made3 acoustic suspension speakers. [ca 1956]

bc former subscriber to speaker builder magazine.

p.s. All I saved from the Audio Amateur mag. was the drop out detector article for my Sony PCM-F1.