From: Phys-l [phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] on behalf of John Denker [jsd@av8n.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:04 AM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] just for fun

The question was:

Which is bigger: 25/28 or 15/17? [1]

Here's my take: Write it as

a b
------- ¿>? ------- [2]
a + 3 b + 2

We know the value of a and b, so we don't need to solve
for them, but for now let's leave them as symbolic rather
than numeric.

Cross multiply. Throw away the "ab" term from both sides.
This leaves us with

2a ¿>? 3b

Now plug in the numeric values and do the multiplication.

I can do all of the above in my head, in less time than it
takes to find a pencil and paper.

=================

The larger point here is that sometimes it is /easier/ to do
the general case rather than the specific case. It's just
plain easier, even if only one specific case is of interest.
-- The advantage is even greater if there are multiple specific
cases on the agenda.
-- The advantage is even greater if the generalization provides
some insight into the structure of the problem, into the
nature of the problem.

There is artistry involved in finding a "good" generalization.
Equation [2] is not the only possible generalization of
equation [1].