Re: [Phys-L] [SPAM] Evaluation tests

On 2013, Dec 14, , at 11:55, Anthony Lapinski <Anthony_Lapinski@pds.org> wrote:

It's mostly a math/reasoning test to check their algebra/trig skills. Also
a few metric conversion to see what they know. Only takes about 30 minutes
to do. You don't want to scare kids away from physics -- some kids are
"rusty" from the long summer break. And there are those who might be weak
at math but can understand physics and do fairly well in the course. But
so far it's a fairly good predictor for me. And it's better to have this
information early on in the course rather than later, when it might be
difficult for kids to switch into another class.

A personal reply:

I earned ~ 50 maths, and >90 English scores on the Thurston back when entering UCSBC (backwoods college not U in 1955). The instructor expected me to drop. Surprise, got the top score on the final. (remember 50 in class and Podunk school).

Previously in elementary school (Palo Alto) The principal set me down to tell me if I wanted to go in science (obvious at an early age) I must improve my maths!

bc

p.s. Then the UC required a pass of the subject A test. (essay, vocab., grammar, etc.) Otherwise take subject A until pass. I suggest a subject B (algebra and trig.) for all schools. Incidentally the h. school from which I was sent down required of all: physics, chem., and bio. in addition to every year english and maths. Three years of Latin and one German or Spanish or a fourth of Latin, ancient history mostly Greek and Sat. comparative religions.