Re: [Phys-L] standard dc circuits

On 11/22/2013 6:43 PM, John Denker wrote in part:
/snip/
I still say that for 99% of electrical engineering and 99.99%
of life in general, the macroscopic lumped-circuit approach
works just fine, and worrying about the microscopic charges
and fields is not a good use of time and effort. It is fine
to discuss it amongst ourselves, but I'm not at all convinced
we should inflict it on students in the introductory course.

As usual, there is a "But..."
There is a conspicuous use for the electric field concept which appears to have been relatively neglected in introductory physics. The lack of this concept produced many marginal signal connections in early computers. A simple dynamic model of potential change operating at a local speed of light is helpful, along with the idea of a reflected field at a mismatched impedance junction. When signal paths began to issue from sources matching a line impedance which matched the terminal impedance, numerous hard to understand glitches just went away....

Brian Whatcott Altus OK