Re: [Phys-L] routine assumptions and plausible hypotheses ... or not

At 3:22 PM -0400 7/8/12, Jeff Bigler wrote:

In fact, I think most of the value is in the exercise of *thinking*
about assumptions, and about some of the limits on what students can
calculate in homework problems, on tests, etc. Then, when they're
taking one of those telepathy exams, they have some of the tools they
need to respond when they overthink the question. (By "overthink", I
mean something to the effect of "consider the problem in a broader sense
than the questioner intended".) If a student can say, "Assuming we can
neglect the mass of the spring and the coefficient of friction of the
ice, the mass of the puck does not matter," then he can be confident of
his answer. If the student correctly guessed the questioner's
assumptions, he got the correct answer. However, if the questioner was
looking for a problem that considered either the mass or the friction,
he has shown that he has at least some understanding of how the
quantities would be applied to the problem. This is the thinking that
goes on in the minds of many of the students who overthink
problems--"what if ________ matters, even though my gut instinct is to
assume that it doesn't?" Of course, this presupposes that the student
can, in fact, tack an open-ended response onto a multiple-choice
question--that's a rant for another time.

Combining the thoughts of both JD and JB, I would suggest that a reasonable way to approach this problem would be to a) specify early in the course the assumptions (at lest the ones the student should be realistically expected to know of), and emphasize them often and repeatedly; and b) then on tests ask the students to qualitatively estimate the effect on the answer of dropping one or more of the assumptions. Which ones to query them about should, of course, be only those that the student, at that point in their study, should be expected to understand the effects of (eg. don't ask how including the effects of a rotating earth on a trajectory will affect their answer to the problem until after they have studied rotational motion). At more advanced levels one could then include the cumulative effects of offsetting assumptions, which would require the students to understand the relative importance of different assumptions.

It could also be worthwhile to bring up some of those situations where a normally secondary effect can be more important that the obvious primary effect, and thus far more worthy of careful calculation than would the primary effect be. For example, and object falling from a height will, sooner or later in the course of the fall be subject to significant effects of air resistance (assuming that the fall is from a great enough height). In the case where the falling object is a person, the effects of air resistance obviously take on overriding importance, so the effect of increasing the air resistance (eg, a parachute) will be an important consideration. Students can be reasonably expected to give at least qualitative answers to follow-on questions about parachutes and air resistance.

So one starts with lot of assumptions that make the problems readily calculable (making clear that these are assumptions, that real problems cannot always ignore them, but students need to learn to walk before they learn to run; it also helps that this is a time honored technique in advanced physics--to learn first how to do a new type of problem by extending a simpler but similar one, and then as one becomes familiar with the nature of the problem, add the complexities needed to solve the real problem one at a time, until we get predictions that converge on the experimental or observed results.

I guess it might even be possible to make the follow-on another multiple choice, but my preference here would be to make the response open-ended, which ought to reveal something of the reasoning that led to the student's choice of the MC part.

Hugh

--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

I have been wondering for a long time why some of our own defense officials do not
put more emphasis on finding a good substitute for oil and worry less about where
more oil is to come from. Our people are ingenious. New discoveries are all around
us, and when we have to make them, we nearly always do.

Eleanor Roosevelt
February 13, 1948