Re: [Phys-L] routine assumptions and plausible hypotheses ... or not

On 2012, Jul 08, , at 12:22, Jeff Bigler wrote:

Completely agreed. The "what assumptions are usually good" and "which
additional assumptions are we making" need to include the idea that
we're only looking at plausible hypotheses and assumptions that are
plausibly likely to be able to affect the outcome in a measurable way.

In a high school course, we need to start with assumptions that the
students can understand, which depends on their awareness of the
components of the situation, their knowledge of what can affect those
components and the situation as a whole, their understanding of what's
measurable/significant and what's not, and their ability to understand
the connections in a quantitative or qualitative manner, as appropriate.
Given the poor number sense that many of today's high school students
have, this is much more difficult for them than it was for high school
students of a generation ago.

I suggest a conclusion from the thread is:

Most fill in the bubble tests are useless. I "bet" JD will think worse than useless.

Better: "Test" questions specifically require the student to include a discussion of relevant assumptions. AND use this, not as a test, but part of the teaching.

bc