Re: [Phys-L] [SPAM] Re: Physics, Errors and Different Teaching Styles

At 8:33 AM -0700 6/27/12, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

On 2012, Jun 27, , at 07:50, John Clement wrote:

One of the challenging, but good activities is to ask how high does
something float in water on the Moon compared to the Earth. Actually having
students translate situations to the moon is very helpful in getting them to
straighten out some thinking.

I think using extremes are a method to clarify thinking.. How about how high it floats in no g field, e.g. on the space station.

Right. And that just complicates things further, because g is *not* zero at the space station. It's at least 8-9 N/kg. You want to consider it somewhere where g is close to zero--perhaps in deep space, where g might approach zero (but we all no that there is nowhere where Newtonian gravity is exactly zero. If there were there would be no galaxies or clusters of galaxies, or even superclusters of galaxies).

Exercise for the reader: is the effect of rotation on buoyancy of an orbiting object noticeable, or have I raised a practical tempest in a teapot--even though I think it is a pedagogically important point?

Hugh
--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

I have been wondering for a long time why some of our own defense officials do not
put more emphasis on finding a good substitute for oil and worry less about where
more oil is to come from. Our people are ingenious. New discoveries are all around
us, and when we have to make them, we nearly always do.

Eleanor Roosevelt
February 13, 1948