Re: [Phys-L] A waves question

Here is a short, but nice video on YouTube of oppositely propagating waves and their resultant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic73oZoqr70

On Jun 22, 2012, at 4:18 PM, John Clement wrote:

I would think that looking at standing waves is also in order. Since the
energy is proportional to A^2, where does it do when the string is flat?
But then the string has a velocity so the energy is now kinetic energy which
is proportional to v^2.

This is are important questions because students have to learn to identify
where the inergy is located. So some qualitative energy bar charts could be
profitably used at this point.

But what about a movie of two equal wave pulses of opposite sign crossing
each other. There is a point at which there is no amplitude anywhere. So
where is the energy??? There are some good wave movies as I recall that you
can use. In other words there is no apparent constructive interference.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Hi,

I think the "Liberal Arts" level answer is that the
energy is at the places of constructive interference.

Thanks
Roger Haar