Re: [Phys-L] real-world physics

I may have misremembered, but apparently it is about 120mph in random
posture according to some sources. Most tend to agree with you, but I am
sure that I saw my figures somewhere a long time ago. So after looking
around, you would seem to be right. Perhaps I confused it with the maximum
terminal velocity for cats which was stated by some sources as 60mph, but it
decreases with the height as the cat relaxes and spreads. Cats apparently
have 95% probability of surviving above the 4th floor according to one
reference, but that may be a bit high. I did not quickly find any highly
authoritative sources.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX