Re: [Phys-L] real-world physics

The boxes are simply filled with air. Stacking the boxes close together controls the release of air from the boxes. Stuntmen also use big air filled bags with flaps that can pop open when the pressure reaches a certain level. The idea is to keep a fairly constant force over the distance that the bags or boxes are collapsing. Filling the boxes with bubble wrap would drastically reduce the deceleration distance and provide unacceptably high "g" forces.

Bob at PC

From: phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org [phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org] on behalf of John Clement [clement@hal-pc.org]
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:54 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] real-world physics

You know they were not filled with anything heavy as you can see someone
slinging a box as if it had no weight. But having something in them to
break the fall migh be good. I didn't see any evidence of foam packing such
as foam peanuts.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I wonder if the boxes were filled with bubble wrap.

A possible worsening, as if not popped, bouncing, doubling
the acceleration.

Since these are
professionals I suspect they first tried a dummy and that
they know how to
calculate forces.

So testing an idea is not all that farfetched.