Re: [Phys-L] proportional reasoning, scaling laws, et cetera

John Denker wrote:

<snip>
Here is how I see the marketing issue. Offer the students an explicit choice:

A) Memorize lots of factoids. Because each factoid is narrowly
specific, you rarely get an opportunity to use it. That leads
to a vicious circle: Factoids that aren't often used can't be
remembered ... and factoids that aren't remembered can't be used,
even when the opportunity arises. By the end of June, you will
have forgotten everything covered in this class, so the whole
enterprise is a huge waste of time and resources.

B) Memorize very few ideas. Because the ideas are simple,
elegant, and powerful, you will use them again and again,
throughout the course and throughout the rest of your life.
</snip>

And then asked:
<snip>
So, dear students, which would you prefer? Shall we learn a large number of useless things, or a small number of useful things?
</snip>

I agree, and I explicitly refer to this choice over and over again in my course (and text).

In fact, one analogy I use is one of trying to find your way to a particular destination. You are faced with two choices: memorize each individual route or learn how to read a map. I then make the analogy that in physics we are learning to use the same map over and over again to reach lots of different destinations.

Unfortunately, I'm not so sure it is making the point as well as I had hoped. For one thing, I always find some students, when faced with the choice, who prefer to memorize each individual route (or so they say). Apparently there is a sizable population who do not like maps. For example, an article appeared recently in our local paper where an intern was asked to find his way to a particular destination using GPS, google maps, mapquest, asking directions, and using a map. He then timed how long it took him using the various techniques. When he used the map, he never got there. That didn't seem to bother him in the least.

<http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111127/NEWS/111270343&cid=sitesearch>

Robert A. Cohen, Department of Physics, East Stroudsburg University
570.422.3428 rcohen@esu.edu http://www.esu.edu/~bbq