Re: [Phys-L] Conceptual Physics Course

I know I'm late getting into this discussion, but this is the first opportunity I've had.

Lot's of good ideas and suggestions, but........

1) This is the most difficult course to teach, but arguably the most important.

2) Don't get carried away with your goals--pick two or three and concentrate on those. It will be difficult enough.

3) If you do (2) the challenge is to prioritize and choose the most appropriate goals, but that will be more or less a personal choice.

4) Using 'Themed' courses makes this easier. My choices have been MOTION and ENERGY.
MOTION--while the course is really about Physics (Science) as a way of knowing, keeping the focus on something that everyone can easily relate to helps. I also can attack the common misconceptions and do so both through lab experiments and doing a broad historical overview--Aristotle to Newton. The one motion we focus on throughout the semester is a ball thrown straight up and then caught (but I sometimes 'miss' the catch with the bowling ball--especially when someone has fallen asleep!)
ENERGY--this is topical, current, and attracts considerable student interest. Does allow for dealing with some Thermo, E&M, Nuclear, and a little Modern physics.

5) Don't underestimate the difficulty these students will have even with what we might think of as 'simple' concepts. ACCELERATION is a very difficult topic (and pretty essential to the Newtonian model!). Once acceleration has been defined, measured in lab, differences from constant velocity described, shown, measured, graphed--quiz questions that present a 'new' motion that ask if the motion is accelerated remain difficult. Extending to the direction of the acceleration and ultimately to the existence and direction of a net force provides a semester long challenge.

6) Concerning assessment--don't attempt too much until you are reasonably sure that the very basics have been mastered. The FCI questions are much more difficult for this level of student than we might imagine (WE after all, got it 'easily'). It is very clear to me that a week, even two, on Newton's laws won't be enough for most to master this material despite that being the amount of coverage in most texts.

***********************************
My chosen goals:

1) That students attain an understanding of how important Science and Technology are to their daily lives--in fact their very survival. I have an exercise that I think works well in this regard. About midway through the MOTION course, I have the students keep a 24 hour log of their use of 'modern' technology. [We don't get too formal with the 'modern' term--if they think it is modern (my definition is 20th-21st century) list it. [Two years ago it provided me with the statistic that the average student used her cell phone 50 times a day--surely higher now.] After making their list, they are to right a short paper analyzing the list and their dependencies and then imagine losing all that technology for a week, a year, or forever. Most feel they could handle a week (they've been camping), but few can imaging much longer. [Also most miss things like medications, contact lenses, and almost all of the technological infrastructure.] Of course, the ENERGY course is almost ALL about this.

2) That students see the differences between the way Science approaches 'knowing' versus their other courses and majors. Emphasis put on experimentation and the testing of new ideas. A classic lab exercise for this is the simple pendulum--starting with NO THEORY, collecting data, working up dependencies, ultimately getting to an equation that 'almost works' except for an unexplained dependency on the angle of swing, and then even later, an explanation finally emerging from SHM that covers all.

My ultimate charge at the end of the class is that trust that when the next important scientific issue requires political/societal/economic action, they will make their decisions on the issue based on what information they can gather (Time/Newsweek levels) and not because the latest-greatest rock/sports/Hollywood star endorses a position.

Rick Tarara

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana

Free Physics Instructional Software
Updates and new multi-resolutions versions now available.