Re: [Phys-l] scientists are wimps

Brian,

On 4/15/2012 10:37 AM, brian whatcott wrote:
That was probably not to Ze-ev's taste - here's an equal-opportunity
somewhat racist joke - that may have more chuckle value?

Mexican Jews ...
I have no issue with real jokes, including the above.
***
On a more serious political note: ...
Israel is a nuclear state however, with a propensity for snatching
similar toys from other war-like states like Iran.
On a more serious note and speaking of "propensities," is it OK if I
describe Iraq (circa 1980s) and Syria (since 1970s), who had their
nuclear ambitions "snatched," as regimes with a "propensity" for
murdering tens of thousands of their own citizens when those disagree
with the regime? Is it OK to point out that Iran shows "propensity" for
imprisoning tens (hundreds?) of thousands of such, torturing them, and
raping and beheading thousands of them?

My real issue was not that the original "satire" used an ignorant jab at
Rumsfeld. One gets used to such political idiocies on science forums
like this. My real problem was what I consider was the honest surprise
by people like you to others' sensitivity to the political jab -- after
all, doesn't "everyone" among scientists know that "Rumsfeld is a war
criminal?" In other words, it was initially not even perceived by most
responders as political, but rather simply as a satire on the irrational.

Hint: Groupthink is not a particularly conservative trait, nor it is
common only among non-scientists.

Ze'ev

"Take take the beam out of your eye ..."