Re: [Phys-l] WIFI

It's digital.

Check out the WikiPedia (Modulation) for more than you really want
to know about the various forms of Digitally encoding information in
the EM spectrum.

Skip the Analog stuff.
.
At 7:57 PM +0000 4/7/12, Forinash III, Kyle wrote:
Does anyone know if digital signals (e.g. WIFI) are sent by
frequency modulation or amplitude modulation or something else? I
read in Wikipedia something about the phase difference between two
or more carrier frequencies encoding the ones and zeros but that
sounds to me like basically FM. I know the transmission frequencies
are much higher than AM or FM which makes sense if you want to send
lots of information. I need some simple (simplistic) explanation to
follow a simple explanation of AM and FM for my intro class.

kyle
"It is not enough to observe, experiment, theorize, calculate and
communicate; we must also argue, criticize, debate, expound,
summarize, and otherwise transform the information that we have
obtained individually into reliable, well established, public
knowledge."
John Ziman

Kyle Forinash
kforinas@ius.edu<mailto:kforinas@ius.edu>