Re: [Phys-l] WIFI

Does anyone know if digital signals (e.g. WIFI) are sent by frequency modulation or amplitude modulation or something else? I read in Wikipedia something about the phase difference between two or more carrier frequencies encoding the ones and zeros but that sounds to me like basically FM. I know the transmission frequencies are much higher than AM or FM which makes sense if you want to send lots of information. I need some simple (simplistic) explanation to follow a simple explanation of AM and FM for my intro class.

kyle
"It is not enough to observe, experiment, theorize, calculate and communicate; we must also argue, criticize, debate, expound, summarize, and otherwise transform the information that we have obtained individually into reliable, well established, public knowledge."
John Ziman

Kyle Forinash
kforinas@ius.edu<mailto:kforinas@ius.edu>
http://homepages.ius.edu/kforinas/Ebook/Site/Blog/Blog.html