From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Paul Lulai
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2012 12:27 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Significant figures -- again

I've found that stating in terms of what they can measure or make helps a
bit. When a kid gives me an answer of 3.8675309 cm (or anythings), I ask
them if they could cut a board to that length. It seems that they are less
comfortable making something a certain length (or weight etc...) than they
are measuring to that precision. Meaning if you give a 9th grader (or 12th
grader, and I assume college kid) a board to measure, they are happy to claim
it is 3.8675309 cm long. Asking them to cut a board to that length makes
them think a bit more about what is appropriate.

Paul Lulai
Physics Teacher
St Anthony Village S.H.
3303 33rd Ave NE