[Phys-l] help figuring out social media

I have just joined this mailing list, so my apologies if this has come up many times.

I have been teaching high school physics for 15 years or so. I am currently taking a course on Physics Pedagogy. One of the issues the course is addressing is the use of social media like Facebook and Twitter as instructional strategies. I am very much an outsider to the Physics Education Research community, so my searches for examples or analysis of using things like Twitter were pretty random I fear.

Does anyone know of places I might find concrete details on how social media could be used in a physics classroom? It was easy to find people celebrating twitter for example as a way to help change education, but harder to find specific examples of how to do it to teach physics. As a high school teacher, I am probably under many more constraints than a university teacher.

And, does anyone know any actual studies of the effectiveness in using such media? I am somewhat skeptical of its potential for me, but I do not want to simply dismiss it out of ignorance.

Thanks for any help you can give.

And, I offer my apologies for my first post being a plea for your aid. I hope it doesn't come off as too rude.

Bob Irelan