From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] on behalf of Bob Irelan [rirelan@cox.net]
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:42 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: [Phys-l] help figuring out social media

I have just joined this mailing list, so my apologies if this has come up
many times.

I have been teaching high school physics for 15 years or so. I am currently
taking a course on Physics Pedagogy. One of the issues the course is
addressing is the use of social media like Facebook and Twitter as
instructional strategies. I am very much an outsider to the Physics
Education Research community, so my searches for examples or analysis of
using things like Twitter were pretty random I fear.

Does anyone know of places I might find concrete details on how social media
could be used in a physics classroom? It was easy to find people
celebrating twitter for example as a way to help change education, but
harder to find specific examples of how to do it to teach physics. As a
high school teacher, I am probably under many more constraints than a
university teacher.

And, does anyone know any actual studies of the effectiveness in using such
media? I am somewhat skeptical of its potential for me, but I do not want
to simply dismiss it out of ignorance.

Thanks for any help you can give.

And, I offer my apologies for my first post being a plea for your aid. I
hope it doesn't come off as too rude.

Bob Irelan