Re: [Phys-l] Traditional Labs and Online Simulations

On 2012, Feb 10, , at 11:11, Rauber, Joel wrote:

Philip K. said in part:

" A lot depends on the level of your students. With some groups, the difficulty they have even reading a meter can keep them from being able to reach any understanding of the underlying physics. "

This may be stating the obvious, or perhaps not, but I certainly hope that, if nothing else, my students will leave the laboratory knowing how to read a ruler. And as a consumer of the education of my fellow citzenry, I'd rather they learn that than some more physics concepts.

My main point is that in my opinion the lab is about a more than merely being a vehicle for aiding the understanding of underlying physics and/or concepts. Naturally I hope the lab is doing that as well.

As always, everyone is entitled to my opinion . . .

Joel Rauber

Yes, this is a philosophical question -- what is physics in teaching? does it include techniques or just how to use and manipulate N1, 2, and 3?

bc remembers being taught (ca. 1955) to turn the meter stick on edge for greater accuracy.

p.s. gone are the days when kids (male at least) knew how to replace a head gasket and rebuild a carburetor.