Re: [Phys-l] Traditional Labs and Online Simulations

A lot depends on the level of your students. With some groups, the difficulty they have even reading a meter can keep them from being able to reach any understanding of the underlying physics. I am getting ready to teach series and parallel circuits in just a couple of weeks. I like to make my students build and measure these circuits, and then add another resistor to each of them to see what changes and what doesn't. But I don't have enough digital meters and my students do not seem to be able to reliably read an analog meter. (Not sure if they can read an analog clock!) So while I still, stubbornly, do the experiment, first we simulate it using a website called the Ohmzone. It's a simple on-line circuit board. This way, while we are still just learning the "rules", at least the measurements come out "right".

Then, for stronger groups, working with real batteries, you can present a challenge: why didn't the lab turn out the way the book says it should?

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of ludwik kowalski
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 1:17 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Traditional Labs and Online Simulations

One way to simulate a lab is to perform a classroom demonstration, for
example, lasting 30 minutes. Individual students would be called to
read instruments and to write results on the blackboard. All students
would be required to write traditional laboratory reports, as if they
did everything personally. This is probably better than an online
computer simulation.

Ludwik