Re: [Phys-L] Dirigible Flight Question

Thanks. And that question is really the crux of what I am trying to understand.

If I were able to plot "drag" vs. velocity what would I get?

Is the function simply parabolic? (or rather abs(v) * v )
Will that fit most low velocities?
Is there also a linear term?

I don't see how there could be a non-zero offset. But there is a non-zero force required to accelerate the mass through zero velocity.

Can a separate the variables at zero velocity?

What I want to do is make a measurement of the additional mass at the point where the balloon's vertical wind speed goes to zero.

Paul