Re: [Phys-l] Typesetting Physics Equations

On 08/10/2011 07:37 PM, Derek McKenzie wrote:
1. I've noticed in some of your web pages the equations are a bit
hard to read (e.g. column vectors that span many lines and have
'perforated' brackets etc.).

Thanks for pointing out the broken brackets. That's more of a
problem on some browsers than others. I just now made a change
that should get rid of the perforations in most cases.

One thing I didn't mention in my previous note is that as part
of my tool chain, I have a perl script that post-processes the
HTML, so if HeVeA makes a small mistake (like broken brackets)
I can fix it systematically. Doing it systematically is important,
because I maintain hundreds of files, and I can't afford to fix
each one by hand.

2. On a slight tangent, how do you get your mathematical symbols to
appear in your emails (nobody else on the list seems to do that)?

Unicode.

Most email clients ("MUAs") support unicode nowadays. Sending
unicode may just work right out of the box ... or it may require
changing some settings. You're looking for a setting that says
"unicode" in general or "UTF-8" in particular.

If the email client doesn't make it convenient to use the keyboard to
enter the desired symbol, you can cut-and-paste from an HTML page that
has it. I often use this handy little file
http://www.av8n.com/jsd/play.html
which has some of the most-common math symbols, along with various
hard-to-spell names and phrases.