Re: [Phys-l] spherical waves

Hi;
I have mightily confused myself, maybe someone can straighten me out. A spherical wave spreads out so obviously the energy per area (intensity) decreases as 1/r2, we expect that just from geometric considerations. But does the amplitude also decrease? A simple y(r,t)=Asin(kr-wt) with r being a polar coordinate says no (and a plane wave in a perfect medium does not). My intuition is that it seems like if you are far away from a source the amplitude can't be the same but amplitude squared is proportional to energy. So is the intensity also decreasing because amplitude is decreasing? But that would mean the 1/r2 dependence for energy/area is wrong.

Several wave books (Berkeley physics waves p 372) I have show that the Poynting vector of the radiation from an accelerating charge is proportional to charge squared, acceleration squared and 1/r^2. But how does that relate to amplitude of the wave?

kyle

"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give
some practical results, but that's not
why we do it."