Re: [Phys-l] learning, judgment, self-assessment, etc.

Our upper school is so curriculum driven, there's little/no time for
"reflection." Everyone is worried about APs a=or SAT II tests. Such a
shame. Teaching to a test. Gone is "learn for the sake of learning."

Physics is such a difficult subject for most students, they don't have the
time/patience to understand it. And, they don't know what they don't know.
I will say that in my experience, mostly GIRLS come for extra help. I
rarely see guys. Girls at least feel they don't understand a concept and
know they need help. Guys feel it will all make sense come test time. And
when we review the day before a test, it's like some students have never
seen these (math) problems before. I sometimes wonder how they survive
high school. Grade inflation? Extensions? Retests? Not like it was when I
was in school...

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
One difference between flying lessons and science classes is that flying
lessons are typically one-on-one.

When helping a single student, for example, I ask the student to tell me
how he/she approached the problem and why. John's post has given me
ideas for improving upon this. For eaxmple, I could ask "tell me what
you think was good about that approach, tell me what you think could be
improved." I do this when observing student teachers, but didn't
consider doing this with tutoring physics.

Any ideas on how to do this with a class full of students, rather than
one-on-one? I try to emphasize the importance of self-assessment in my
classes, and try to structure the class to encourage and develop
self-assessment, but now I am thinking about how to incorporate the
"tell me what you think was good about that approach, tell me what you
think could be improved" procedure.

Robert A. Cohen, Department of Physics, East Stroudsburg University
570.422.3428 rcohen@po-box.esu.edu http://www.esu.edu/~bbq