Re: [Phys-l] learning, judgment, self-assessment, etc.

On 5/22/2011 3:01 AM, John Denker wrote:
/snip/ I'm the instructor. /snip/ I can hold him to high standards while I am there with him, but there is no way I (or anybody else) can baby-sit him during the other 99% of his flying career. /snip/

...which reminds me: I am not good at remembering day to day details.

But each time I walk around my airplane to do a pre-flight, I am walking in company with a flight instructor - it's usually John Hill, the (then) chief flight instructor at Coventry where I learned.

The flaps come full down, the hinges and counter weights are looked over every time, the fuel checked for water and so on. As I proceed towards the tail, I hear him remind me to look under the fuselage, because rivets start sweating there too. I recall that the rudder hinges deserve a look, in view of the C-150 that came back after aerobatics with the rudder hanging on only one of three hinges; and so on.

Strange, knowing that only 20% of lecture material might hit long-term memory, and knowing my own particular weakness in that area, how clearly his voice speaks after forty years. Rest in Peace.

Brian W