Re: [Phys-l] inversion goggles

Here's what can be expected at one month of age:

1 month
At birth your baby didn't know how to use his eyes in tandem, so they may have wandered randomly or even crossed now and then. This month or next, he'll be able to consistently focus both eyes and track a moving object. A rattle passed in front of his face will often transfix him as he explores this newfound ability. He may also enjoy playing eyes-to-eyes with you: With your face very close to his, move your head slowly from side to side, with your eyes and his eyes locked.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_developmental-milestones-sight_6508.bc
.
At 2:14 PM -0400 5/16/11, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
>P.S. I'm still trying to figure out how our brain flips inverted images on
our retina so we see the world as upright. My eye doctor once told me that
this is initially not true for newborns -- that they literally see the
world inverted! Wow!

This seems easily refuted? If a baby sees your legs pointing up and
head down, and you make a motion toward your legs, then you should
see the baby's eyes go up as it eagerly and happily follows your
motion down. Etc. I'm picturing Feynmann asking this sort of
question? Maybe it's a dumb question, but I'm happy to be dumb for a
bit, in the interest of education.

Google this question and see that the notion is strongly perpetuated
and seems well-liked, especially by new parents, who don't think of
their new babies as anything other than the most special thing ever
invented. There seem to be very few (any?) sites that cite any
science behind the notion. The notion also appears to claim that the
effect is a newborn phenomenon only, and "corrects" within a couple
of days. So if it were to be validated, it would have to have come
from research done literally on newborns. I surmise that this is
likely to have happened in a mostly anecdotal fashion, except maybe
for (this is the closest I have been able to find anything I would
come close to believing on this topic, and it still is written for
lay people):

http://www.opt.indiana.edu/people/faculty/candy/what_can_a_baby_see.html

In large measure, they address the question by not considering it,
which may say a lot.

Stefan Jeglinski