Re: [Phys-l] Electronic Textbooks & MasteringPhysics

One instructor here requires the use of Mastering Physics. He likes it for
the homework feature. Some of his students do not like it and consider it
busy work. Others report that it really helps them. Most do not like the
software. We have done no systematic survey so all of this is based on
only those students willing to talk to the instructors.

The campus I teach at is on the poorer side of town so I do not require it
because of the extra cost. In addition about 1/3 of my students do not
have home access to the internet and many do not have computers (although
the number is dropping fast). The instructor who does require Mastering
Physics makes the text optional and tells the students that any edition of
the text will work. He has had several students find texts one or two
editions younger for less than $1.

We allow the students to use any format of the text they want. I observed
this semester that three out of 40 bring laptops or pads and access the
text that way. The ones who bring texts are split evenly between the bound
and the loose-leaf editions. Many of the students never bring texts and
some told me that they do not purchase any text. They rely on friends or
they form a group and buy a single text. In addition our library keeps
copies of texts for the standard freshmen courses on reserve to be checked
out and used in the library. I have not made a study but do not see any
obvious differences in performance attached to the text type.

Don Mathieson
Tulsa Community College
dmathies@tulsacc.edu