Re: [Phys-l] radioactivity in the news -- actual measurements

On Mar 28, 2011, at 1:26 PM, John Denker wrote (in part)

Note that the sievert is a unit of dose, when someone is exposed to
radiation. In contrast, if you want to quantify the amount of radiation
*in* something (such as food), the becquerel is a more appropriate unit.
Therefore it is advantageous to search for terms like becquerel and bq/kg.

1) Yes, WHEN SOMEONE IS EXPOSED TO RADIATION. But the 15 mSv/min, for example, is also used instead of the intensity of radiation. Double the intensity and the mSv/min, in the same body, doubles.

2) Likewise, the dose density, expressed in Sv, is often used to represent the dose. Double the mean dose density--for example, by doubling the intensity, or the exposure time-- and the dose (energy absorbed in your body) will double.

3) Yes, we all know this. We do not confuse kWh with kW, but many people do.

Ludwik

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html